La Roche Posay Skincare - Reviews A la Carte!

Sunday, March 30, 2014




Hey guys! Yes, I too fell down the La Roche Posay rabbit hole after watching Lisa Eldridge's "french pharmacy favourites" skincare post on the interwebz lol.


Luckily around that time escentual.com was having one of its famous 1/3 off French Pharmacy brands sales (just like right now til the end of March!) which meant I could gorge myself on a bounty of LRP products and not feel too guilty if some items didn't turn out :)

And so began my french pharmacy love affair!

Since then (about a year ago I think) I have sampled a variety of products from LPR's lineup, so today I've decided to share some of my thoughts and photos with you guys on what I currently have in my horded pile bathroom, kind of like an LPR brand review, a la carte.



Facial Cleansers

L-R: Lipikar Syndet, Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel, Effaclar Deep Cleansing Foaming Cream

- La Roche-Posay Lipikar Syndet - Soap Free Cleansing Gel -
tiny 5c piece size drop of Lipikar Syndet 

lathers into a nice foamy amount that's not too rich or too sparse 

This one I find OK but if I use on a regular basis it just doesn't cleanse deep enough for me. It is great however as a soothing body wash when my skin's feeling dry and/or irritated. This has a creamier foam once you add water and you only need a small amount.

- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel - (repurchased already)


small 5c amount of the Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel

lathers up into a lovely soft foam that doesn't leave a residue behind 

This has become my regular face wash, its not too drying, not to light and keeps my fussy oily/combination skin relatively happy - I wish it would deal with blocked pores more but I guess I can't have everything in one bottle! Foams up easily with water and lives in my shower.

- La Roche-Posay Effacler Deep Cleansing Foaming Cream


waaay too much Effaclar Deep Cleansing Foaming Cream lol - you can see its quite thick and has a shiny opaqueness to it 

and it foams up to a really thick creamy lather that can leave skin feeling tight afterwards
This on I found way too harsh on my skin and afterwards it would feel dry and itchy. I've only used a few time as the result was always the same. If I want a deeper cleanse I tend to opt for the Lipikar Huil cleansing oil on a cellulose sponge for a light exfoliating and deeper cleaning affect.

Toners & Cleansing Oils


- La Roche-Posay Lipikar Huile Lipid-Replenishing Cleansing Oil -

At first I thought this was too drying on my skin, however I was in Melbourne at the time and whenever I'm there the water makes my skin freak out! super dry and red which is just weird for me as I've always had oily combo skin. Anyway over the last couple of months of using this approx 2 a week my skin has loved it! I love using as an exfoliating wash as mentioned above but also at night after taking off a heavy makeup look with micellar water as it melts all the last traces of any left over liquid eyeliner or foundation. Its also great as an all-over body and face wash when I'm in a super rush in the mornings.

small amount on the back of my hand - it's not as runny as the 

lathers up into a feather light foam that's not overly sudsy and doesn't leave a residue behind 

You only need a few drops at a time so this 200ml bottle is going to last me at least 12 months. And you don't have to worry about that greasy gross film some cleansing oils can leave behind as it foams up like a normal facial cleanser and washes away without a trace.

- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Astringent Micro-Exfoliant Lotion - (repurchased already)


this is my empty bottle and I have another on the way so I couldn't show you the consistency! :(
it's colourless and doesn't have an overpowering scent 

This has now replaced/is used inter-changeably with my Garnier Active toner. I find I need the extra step of toning after my cleanser and before my moisturizer in the morning as it helps in keeping my pores less blocked. Whenever I run out or stop using toner for a few days my skin has the biggest tantrum! This toner does tingle and can sting as it has alcohol in it but personally it doesn't bother me.



Moisturizers






- La Roche-Posay Effaclar K - Renovating Care For Oily Skin - (repurchased already)

even this tiny amount is probably double what I would use! 

This moisturizer is kinda meh for me? Its not terrible but its not holy grail either. I find in winter it's great but in summer it can be a bit heavy for me as a daily moisturizer. However, I'll often use it as a base before my foundation as the extra moisture stops any flaky patches around my nose or on my cheeks from showing up. Also it has a really odd plasticky-pool-toys smell - not too strong and it fades quickly, but if you're sensitive to scents it may be too much for you. To apply I find it best to do so when my skin is still damp from my toner or if its the evening and I'm refreshing my bare face before makeup I spritz with my Avene natural spring water spray or MAC Fix+ and then while damp rub this in. 


- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat -

a small blob is all you need - it has an opaque appearance and plenty of slip


I wasn't too impressed with this one. It applies wonderfully, like a lightweight almost serum and is shiny at first, then after about 5 minutes it sets to a completely matte finish.

here is immediately after applying - the skin's surface is still shiny 
and here is approx 30 sec - 1 min later and its completely dried to a matte texture finish 


My problem with it is that after about an hour it does this weird "pilling" thing where if I run my fingertips over my skin (especially near my eyebrows or cheeks) little balls of it clump up and roll away. So weird.



- La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 - Soothing Repairing Balm -

the B5 is creamy and has a slight shine to it when applied, but can take an extra minute or so to soak in


This is a great little gem! I currently have two tubes of this on the go, one in my work/day handbag and one in my bathroom. Its so claming and lush yet applies easily without being too thick. It does leave a slight film over your skin but fades within a few minutes of application. I use it as a hand cream (I have super dry skin), when my contact dermatitis flares up, on my face when I've had either a reaction to something or my skin gets super dry, on sunburn - pretty much on any dry or irritated skin and it's like magic! Love this stuff. You only need the smallest amount and it has basically no scent.

Make Up

- La Roche-Posay Hydreane BB Cream SPF20 -




I think I've worn this twice and then put it in my foundation drawer to die a lonely death LOL! It's way too pink toned for my skin and for a BB cream it doesn't have anywhere near enough coverage (doesn't even get close to my Missha BB cream!) Its more like a tinted moisturizer that clings to any minuscule dry patches it can find, making them look like giant flaky lily-pads sitting on the surface of my face >.< smeh.

LRP BB cream in Light - indirect sunlight, L - glob R - blended 

LRP BB cream in Light - direct flash, L - glob R - blended 

Thanks for reading guys and I hope it was helpful for anyone interested in the La Roche Posay skincare range :) any questions about any of the above products just hit me up in the comments below.

*all the above items were purchased by myself with my own funds over a period of approx 12 months


*I 'm not by any means a dermatologist! I can only share with you my own experiences/findings and cannot guarantee you will have the same results as myself. Please check the ingredient lists on all products for anything that may not agree with your skin, before you use them!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Bambikai Land 2017

Featured Post

Too Faced's Romantic Eye Palette - Review & Swatches

Today's post is a review of the Romantic Eye Palette by Too Faced Cosmetics. I lusted after this little beauty for an age before f...

Subscribe