NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation - First Impression & Swatches

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

While in Melbourne with the other half for the F1, I managed to swing by the Mecca store on Toorak Rd (after an epic day of shopping!) and try one of the items on my lemmings’ list - the new NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation.

NARS all day luminous review in Mont Blanc


I've never owned a NARS foundation before so I needed some help trying to find my colour match. A lovely staff member at Mecca (gah I can’t remember his name for the life of me!) asked how he could help and I mentioned I had no idea what my colour match in the new NARS ADLW was and before I knew it I was sat down, relieved of my ridiculous amount of bags and handed a cold glass of water – talk ‘bout customer service!

Next my tired ass foundation was removed, my skin prepped with a NARS moisturiser that was suited to my combo skin and the ADLW in Monte Blanc applied with fingertips, as this apparently was the best way to apply it and work it into the skin.

Texturally it felt great – it reminded me of my GA Lasting Silk; super runny, feather-light and it set quickly.

Aaaaaaand that’s where the awesome died.

Unfortunately the finish was a definite matte with no luminosity that I could see at all. It also managed to pick up every single hair and pore on my face, plus create a whole layer of flaky terribleness that wasn't visible before applying. 

I did walk around the store for another 20 minutes or so to let it settle before making my final decision - mostly ‘cos I felt bad for hating it after the MUA was so lovely. When I couldn't loiter any more, I caved and said I'd buy a bottle; if only to experiment with back home with different moisturiser/primer combos. Luckily it was not meant to be, they had sold out of Monte Blanc so I got to leave the store guilt free!

The lovely MUA did give me a sample pot to take home and was very generous with the amount he poured in. Honestly though, any base product that takes this much effort to look half decent is just going to end up covered in dust in the back of my makeup draw, cos let’s be realistic there’s no way I CBF with that much effort first thing in the morning.

the sample pot I was given, due to the thin consistency of the foundation there is probably enough
product here for 10 or so full face applications

Guilty anecdotes aside, below are some close up photos of my at home attempts. You can see the texture gabbiness of ADLW and the overall flatness of the formula. I've applied it to a bare face, after a day out and about, with no primers or moisturisers underneath so you can see how it performs "out of the bottle". 

bare face no makeup
this is my bare face; blocked pores, redness and all!

side of my face with the NARS ADLW foundation
and the same side of my face with the NARS ADLW foundation - no primer, not freshly washed or moisturised  

bare face closeup
bare face closeup - sorry lol

close up of NARS All Day Luminous Weightless
close up of NARS ADLW - why hello skin flakes I never knew I had! 

close up of NARS ADLW flakiness
and just in case you couldn't see the flaky patches of texture magic that has occurred, I've circled them :) 

close up of NARS ADLW coverage
more caky-ness, yet semi decent coverage of my beauty spots 

And here are some swatches of it with a few other foundations I own for colour comparison. From left to right there is:



L-R: bareMinerals Bareskin, L'Oreal True Match, Benefit Hello Flawless, NARS ADLW, RBR Time Defying and GA Lasting Silk under indirect artificial daylight balanced light
L-R: bareMinerals Bareskin, L'Oreal True Match, Benefit Hello Flawless, NARS ADLW, RBR Time Defying and GA Lasting Silk under indirect artificial daylight balanced light 

L-R: bareMinerals Bareskin, L'Oreal True Match, Benefit Hello Flawless, NARS ADLW, RBR Time Defying and GA Lasting Silk in direct artificial daylight balanced light
L-R: bareMinerals Bareskin, L'Oreal True Match, Benefit Hello Flawless, NARS ADLW, RBR Time Defying and GA Lasting Silk in direct artificial daylight balanced light 

So has anyone else tried this new NARS foundation out? How did you find it, did it work well with your skin texture? Should this put me off trying any other NARS foundations in the future? Let me know down below in the comments!


Bambi xox 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Bambikai Land 2017

Featured Post

Too Faced's Romantic Eye Palette - Review & Swatches

Today's post is a review of the Romantic Eye Palette by Too Faced Cosmetics. I lusted after this little beauty for an age before f...

Subscribe