Smoked Out Duochrome EOTD

Tuesday, September 09, 2014


So this was a quick look I want to try on my gorgeous bestie Gen - she has these big jade green eyes that I thought would just look awesome with the rust brown/teal duochrome of Insomnia pigment.

First off I removed her work makeup with Bioderma's Sensibio (previously Crealine) as it easily takes off makeup and wouldn't irritate her super sensitive and dry skin. This was especially important as Gen was letting me try 3 separate makeup looks on her that day and I didn't want to upset her skin! She then used her own moisturizer to revive her skin and then I applied a little POREfessional primer through her T-zone to even out her complexion.

A clean base all prepped and ready to go

Next was base, which for this look I want something nice and medium coverage with moisture to combat any flakies and look good under the studio lights later, so I applied good old RBR TDSS in Linen Cream which was just light enough to suit Gen too (Gen has a super pale porcelain skin tone with neutral to pink under tones - kinda different to my pale olive skin with warm undertones lol!). For concealer I used Becca's duo concealer in Sherbet.

Insomnia patted all over the lid 

Onto the eyes, they were really straight forward. I patted/packed Insomnia all over the lid up to the crease with a finger tip - as its a pigment, I find I get less fallout this way than with a brush.
Next I took RBR's Chesnut-Napped Apalis on a Sigma E35 hair fluffy crease brush and blended from the outer corners and through the socket to help transition out the edges. Then I took RBRs Black Pepperjay on my MAC 236 and defined the lash line and outer V a with it.
Lastly I blended UD's Foxy on a random fluffy Manicare brush to soften the edge transition of the crease through to the brow bone.

For further definition I applied a cat eye flick (a staple for both Gen and myself) with my trusty Maybelline liquid eyeliner pen and finished off Gen's lashes with a lick of Cargo 3 Mascara. The lucky miss-so-and-so has fantastic long curly eyelashes which I felt didn't need any falsies for this look.

brows, liner and lashes all darkened and defined to frame the look

I filled in her brows with my trusted lil NYX Moonlit Skinny Dip trio palette's darkest shade - Gen's eyebrows are already tinted and fairly well groomed so I didn't need to do much of anything to them really.

On her cheeks I didn't bother with too much blush, just a hint of Chanel's creme blush in Inspiration and then I added some warmth with Becca's fine pressed powder in Spice for a light semi-bronzed feel. Top her lips I added a little RBRs Irreverence lipstick.
And that's it!
the finished look - shot in natural overcast daylight

Gen loved it and as I suspected the contrast of those lovely rusty red brown tones with a kicker of teal reflect against her green eyes looked awesome. A great modern kind of smokey eye that took maybe only 20mins but I think Gen could pull off herself in about 15 or so.

Insomnia is a Makeup Geek pigment and is available on their site - and they have reasonable international shipping!

All products used were purchased by myself (and swatched greedily by my bestie and followed by lots of "ooh, I want this one.....ooh and that one....)

Bambi xox

You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Bambikai Land 2017

Featured Post

Too Faced's Romantic Eye Palette - Review & Swatches

Today's post is a review of the Romantic Eye Palette by Too Faced Cosmetics. I lusted after this little beauty for an age before f...

Subscribe