RBR's Raw Garden Eyeshadow Palette in Chronos (LE) - Review/First Impression

Sunday, September 07, 2014


It's here!! I first spied this palette back at the beginning of the year in the Backstage photos post on the RBR blog and spent the next few months waiting for it to emerge. As soon as it did, I snapped one up right away! Below are my first impressions / initial review. (p.s its pic heavy) 
The Chronos palette is described as:
"RAW GARDEN in ‘Chronos’ is our first Limited Eye Shadow Palette, introducing five limited metallic colours of our Long-lasting Eye Shadow with a new, silky, mineral-enriched formulation.
Suitably presented in a luxuriantly lacquered magnetic étui, the colour theme of the Limited Eye Shadow Palette RAW GARDEN in ‘Chronos’ is inspired by the lustre and varying shades seen in the darkness and dancing shadows of the Black Pearls."
It's a palette that contains 5 gorgeous smokey shades in the famous RBR long lasting eyeshadow formula housed in a lovely slim plastic case with the as always beautiful RBR secret garden styled designs. The lid internal lid has a mirror that runs the full length of the palette and a dual sided sponge applicator is also included.


It arrive in a lovely slim black box, very much inline with the RBR packaging ethos. The palette itself feels solid and well constructed. While I enjoy how slim it is, I don't think it would completely survive a drop on my tiled bathroom floor (mind you my metal UD Naked 2 palette didn't even survive that so yeah #epicklutz). It would survive very nicely in the bottom of my handbag which will be it's new home for the next month or so while I put it through it's paces.








As I mentioned above, it also comes with a dual ended sponge tip applicator, very similar to the ones found in the Sleek iDivine palettes. My preference is for fingertip or brushes so i'm not sure how much use i will get out of it, however the slot/well that holds it may just fit one of my smaller travel brushes - I'll let you know if I find one that works.

The pans are removable which means you can swap them out for you other favourite colours - point of warning, these only fit the RBR refills which are smaller than the potted individual eyeshadows. Damn shame really as I was hoping to swap out these five for my five matte RBR shadows which currently aren't available in the refill size :(






The shadows themselves are soft and buttery just like the permanent range, and blend equally as easily. They feature a gorgeous hummingbird design embossed into the shadow as opposed to the standard logo. The five shades from lightest to darkest are described on the RBR site as:
‘Champagne Pewter Highlighter’, a peachy metallic champagne
‘Metallic Rosy Brown’, a peacock pink and gold shade
‘Aged Bronze’, an interchanging, cool olive metallic
‘Aubergine Gunmetal’, a dark, gold-tinged eggplant-grey metallic
‘Midnight Blue Gunmetal’, a deep, smoky blue-grey metallic





My only proviso would be don't expect super bright colour pigmentation off of the two darkest shades. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a depth of pigmentation present, however when I dry swatched these on un-prepped skin the majority of pigment showing was the base colour. The colour to me is more of a metallic sheen that hovers over a black base which you glimpse as you tilt it in the light. 

Of course more playing with these both wet and dry and on moisturised primed skin is needed before I can give a complete verdict. As a combination of colours, I feel these five work well together. I can easily create a workday look with the lighter three shades (I'm loving Aged Bronze, olives are right up my alley at the moment) but also rock a killer glam-tastic look for a night out with Midnight Blue Gunmetal.




My first impression is a happy one overall :) the palette itself is beautiful, the shadows are great and I feel work well together for a non-traditional metallic smokey eye. Personally I wish the palette could house de-potted RBR shadows and I perhaps a touch more purple presence within the Aubergine Gunmetal shade but those are just personal preferences. So if you feel like its treat yo' self time a little indulgence, or maybe you you have a loved one due for a present definitely check this one out.

Bambi xox 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Bambikai Land 2017

Featured Post

Too Faced's Romantic Eye Palette - Review & Swatches

Today's post is a review of the Romantic Eye Palette by Too Faced Cosmetics. I lusted after this little beauty for an age before f...

Subscribe