Sigma Eye Shadow Bases - Review

Sunday, October 26, 2014


An age ago Kat ordered the Sigma Eye Shadow Bases soon after they were released as they looked like promising, cheaper versions of MAC's Paint Pots. She ever so graciously brought them into work for me to to try and then I forgot about them for a few months. Then last week I remembered them and asked Kat if I could borrow them to review for you guys here on the blog :)

sigma eye shadow bases with lids off


These are available on Sigma's website and cost $13USD each or alternatively you can pick up one of three trio kits of preset shades for $28.80USD. The packaging is a chunky yet heavy plastic round pot with a black rounded screw top lid and a plastic sealing internal top.   

They are described by Sigma as: 
The Sigma Beauty Eye Shadow Bases are made with a blendable, smooth formula to achieve a long-wearing and pigmented effect. Each base is paraben-free and designed to reduce surface oil with its water-resistant, silky-smooth and light-weight formula. Each eye shadow base features an exclusive anti-drying protectant lid.

Today I have 4 different shades to review - two metallic shimmers, one shimmer with glitter and one matte. 

Persuade, Pose, Unveil & Sculpt


Sculpt 
charcoal shimmer with silver and blue micro glitter 

I found this applied smoothly with both finger and brush and had great slip when using it as a liner for a cat eye flick. It wore for about 5hrs before showing any fading, however it did transfer slightly and never truly set. Keep in mind its more of a charcoal black then an actual deep black and so it has a softer depth of colour to it. 

sculpt pot bottom

sculpt opened pot

Persuade
nude matte peach beige

 Despite being a matte shade, Persuade's texture is light weight, mousse like and easy to apply. I used this as a base with Unveil layered over the top and found it blended out well, plus out of the four shades it was the only one to really "set"once dried. It lasted about 5 hours with no primer before it started to crease.
persuade pot bottom

persuade opened pot

Pose 
dirty bronzed brown shimmer 

This shade has a blackened base to it lending a bronzed smoky feel to the overall brown shade, more than the copper tone it appears in the pot. Same wear time as the others and it blended out smoothly. 

pose pot bottom

pose opened pot

Unveil
intense rich metallic classic gold

My favourite shade of the bunch, it reminds me of a YSL palette I had years ago that had this gorgeous gold cream shadow in it. The colour is true to pot, a classic warm rich gold colour with a fantastic pigment payoff. It does blend out to a softer golden shimmer but you can pack it on to get that molten liquid gold effect. I'll definitely be picking this one up for myself as I currently don't have anything like it.  


unveil pot opened

all four shadows together, Persuade, Unveil, Pose and Sculpt
all four shadows together, Persuade, Unveil, Pose and Sculpt

swatched under indirect daylight balanced flash L-R: Pose, Persuade, Sculpt and Unveil
swatched under indirect daylight balanced flash L-R: Pose, Persuade, Sculpt and Unveil

Honestly I wasn't expecting these to perform that well as I've always viewed Sigma as primarily a brush company and not a makeup one, add to that my general meh-ness towards cream shadows due to my oily eyelids and my hopes weren't that high. But colour me surprised, these performed a hell of a lot better than I expected!
The only small let down was Sculpt which didn't quite set, meaning a slight amount of transfer happened throughout the day (I wore it as an eye liner on my top lids) and any accidental touches would smudge - I'd recommend patting a black shadow over the top to set it.
Otherwise, if you're looking to try a cream base/eyeshadow for the first time I'd say these are worth checking out.

If you know of any awesome cream eye products that rock your socks off, let me know in the comments below!

Bambi xox



You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Bambikai Land 2017

Featured Post

Too Faced's Romantic Eye Palette - Review & Swatches

Today's post is a review of the Romantic Eye Palette by Too Faced Cosmetics. I lusted after this little beauty for an age before f...

Subscribe